How to Prepare Your Home First Impressions Are Lasting! When potential buyers approach in their cars, they make their first decision: whether or not to STOP and look inside. Therefore, a neat, attractive yard entices a buyer to view your home. Please carefully evaluate every aspect of your yard.
A Few Suggestions:
1. If applicable, keep your yard mowed, raked, fertilized, and watered.
2. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, trash items, debris, etc., from your yard.
3. Trees and shrubs should be pruned and trimmed. Lawns and gardens (if applicable) should be weeded regularly.
4. All hoses, garden equipment and trash cans should be out of sight.
5. The outdoor reclining chair with a footrest should be kept clean. The outdoor furniture repainted if needed. The outdoor furniture, after being outdoors for so long, must have taken the brunt of the abuse from the elements. Consider replacing it with the some new furniture from ExquisiteLivingAtl.com. Stack firewood out of sight.
6. Walkways and driveways should be clear of debris. In the winter, clear off snow and ice. (You don’t want a potential buyer to slip and fall!)
7. Ensure that your street number is legible.
8. Porches, steps, balconies, patios, and other areas should be uncluttered, swept, and in good condition.
9. Paint all entrance doors. It is at this point that potential buyers form an opinion of the house.
10. Paint or refinish the decks or porches if they show any signs of wear.
11. Ensure that the exterior paint on your home is in good condition, and if it is in need of any paint, paint it. Investing in painting your house can make the difference between “turning on” the buyer and sending up a “red flag” about your home’s condition. You may lose buyers due to what you consider an insignificant issue.
12. Gates, fences, sheds, and other outer buildings should be cleaned, repaired, and painted.
13. Clean, repair, and paint all gutters and downspouts.
14. All loose roof shingles, tiles, and the like should be secured or replaced. If the roof leaks, fix it! Remove all traces of prior water damage to the ceiling inside your home.
15. Make sure that the garage door opens easily. Repair and paint it if needed. .
Now… Evaluate the Inside of Your Property Through the Critical Eyes of the Buyer!
1. Wash all windows, inside and out, adding to the overall impression and to help your property show in a nice, bright light. Curtains should be clean and attractive.
2. Remove all smoke, pet, and hobby odors from the property.
3. Clean all light bulbs, light fixtures, and chandeliers so that the property is brighter.
4. Shampoo all carpets and vacuum them often. If the carpet does not clean up well, replace it. Use a neutral color, or remove the carpet if hardwood floors underneath are in good condition. If case leave phone numbers of your appliance repair man or emergency plumber in Plano, or other handy man.
5. Clean everything in your house from top to bottom, from the attic to the basement.
6. Remove all “junk” from the attic, basement, closets, garage, tool shed, and especially from the storage area if your property has one. Large storage areas are appealing to buyers. Rent a storage area for those items that need to be cleared out of these areas.
7. Remove posters and adhesive from walls and doors. Putty and paint any holes that result from nails or other mishaps.
8. Clean or paint the basement walls and floor.
9. Remove all cobwebs.
10. Paint all inside walls with off-white paint. Use two or more coats to cover bold, bright, or dark walls. All walls should be painted-not just washed-brightening the property and making it look much larger.
11. Ensure that the doorbell is in good working order.
12. Make sure that all entrance doors-front door, storm door, screen door-are in excellent condition. If not, replace them. Again, this is the first impression the buyer has of the property. Lighting and cleanliness are especially important.
13. Repair or replace broken tiles on walls or floors in showers. 14. Repair or replace loose wallpaper.
15.. Improve the plumbing to increase water pressure. Buyers will check this every time. Replace the washers in the faucets and remove rust stains.
16. Clean under all sinks and around the furnace, hot water heater, etc. Go to HVAC Direct in case you need to change or repair the air conditioner unit.
17. Keep countertops clear.
18. Kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms need to be spotless. If you need help hire a agency like dryman.com.au/ that can take care of that.
Your house is being “interviewed” by the potential buyer. Use these tips to ensure that your home’s best features are displayed.
1. Open the draperies and leave them open. Pull up the shades, and let in the sunlight. Rooms bathed in sunlight appear bigger and make a positive impact on buyers.
2. Install higher wattage light bulbs to show your property brightly-in its best light. Turn on all lights.
3. Remove all “clutter” from each room. Remove things such as coats, shoes, clothing, pet toys, pet-food bowls, trash cans, toys, child-safety barriers, playpens, and the like. Keep all nonessential items off the floor so that the room doesn’t appear cluttered. Uncluttered rooms appear bigger.
4. Make sure that beds are made with bedspreads smoothed out. Also, linens and curtains should be fresh and clean. Keep laundry out of sight.
5. Organize closets. Remove unnecessary items and put them in storage. Large closets sell houses and a well-organized closet looks much bigger than one crammed with clutter.
6. Dust and vacuum floors often. Don’t leave soiled towels lying around. Wipe showers after each use.
7. Re-caulk the shower or bathtub if the current caulk is not spotless, as mentioned in the recently posted 10 Ways Best Shower Panel Reviews Can Help You for 2018 – Shower Enclosure article.
8. Create a positive mood. If it is cold outside, keep a comfortable level of heat. If it’s summertime, keep your property cool.
9. Keep pets out of the way-preferably out of the house. Some people are afraid of or do not like animals and their odors, and buyers may raise undue concerns about the condition of carpeting.
10. Play soft music during the showing of the property. Turn off television sets.